KMA Health Priorities -- Drug Abuse
The American Society of Addiction Medicine estimates nearly 40 million Americans have an addiction to nicotine, alcohol or other drugs. Drugs abuse can alter a person’s thinking and judgement, leading to health risks, including addiction, drugged driving and infectious disease, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. In Kentucky in 2010, the rate of drug overdose death was 23.6 per 100,000 in 2010 and rose to 23.7 per 100,000 in 2014.
A number of organizations offer resources to address this growing problem across the commonwealth and the nation.
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- American Society of Addiction Medicine, Kentucky Chapter
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Drug Use
- Harm Reduction Coalition
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Mental Health and Substance Abuse