Physicians must take action now to avoid the 4 percent payment reduction under the Medicare Quality Payment Program, which includes the Merit Based Incentive Payment System or MIPS.
Certain physicians are exempt from MIPS. Physicians that are exempt from MIPS in 2017 do not have to take further action this year.
Exemptions for 2017 (Performance Year 1) include:
- Physicians who enroll in Medicare for the first time in 2017
- Physicians who participate in an Advanced APM and are either a Qualifying APM Participant (QP) or Partial QP
- Physicians who bill Medicare for $30,000 or less
- Physicians who have provided care for 100 Medicare patients or fewer
Physicians may check to see if they need to submit data to MIPS by entering their 10-digit National Provider Identifier (NPI) number from the quality payment program look-up page.
Physicians that do not meet an exemption still have time to avoid the 4 percent penalty by submitting one quality measure or one improvement activity for one patient one time.
To locate measures follow these steps:
- Go to the Quality Payment Program at: cms.gov
- Go to the tool-bar and click on MIPS at the top of the tool-bar
- Select quality measures, or improvement activities
Contact KMA with questions at email@example.com.